Before hitting the streets first thing Friday morning I saw a green butterfly fluttering over a flower in our garden and a good thing I had my camera. A good omen for starting the day? Hehe.
One good thing about the Kadayawan Festival is that you have a variety of choices on how you want to spend the day.
What to do? What to do?
- FOOD: If you are into food, you can eat fruits that are on season like mangosteen, durian, lansones and rambutan which can be seen everywhere and they come in very cheap. You can also choose from a variety of street foods downtown - kwek2x, cotton candy, popcorn, fishball, cheese sticks and more. If you want FOOD as in heavy meals.... restaurants have promos and you can see streamers everywhere screaming "Kadayawan Promo" this and that. You wouldn't starve I tell you. There are also Food Fiestas and fairs in different places.
- SHOP: This is the time to SHOP! ALL malls are ON SALE. 10-70% off! Not just malls, even small boutiques and stores are on SALE. Everything's on SALE, I tell you.... even GUESS and other prominent flashy brands.
- ENTERTAINMENT: Various artists have schedules to perform in different malls. Be it free or with pay. But mostly it's Free, just take your pick! There are cultural presentations and music festivals. Of course, we have the Indak Indak sa Kadalanan(Saturday) and the Floral Float Parade(Sunday) if you happen to wake up early in the morning. Bring your umbrellas with you.... or just a cap will do. If you don't like crowds.... then I think the street dancing is not for you. (did it just rhyme?)
- PARTY - night street parties are offered everywhere. Everyone's out the night after Indak Indak (Street Dancing) usually scheduled Saturdays. Roads are often closed for the open street discos.
- CONTESTS - if you are a person who loves to win a prize, there are various competitions you can join or just watch. From sports(sepak takraw), photography to dancing and even just joining raffle prizes in different malls.
- TRADE FAIRS - of course trade fairs are always present. Plants, furniture and food. Best day to buy is the last day of the trade fair because you get it cheap....but not a lot of choices. :)
Friday: The first day we just walked and strolled the streets. We just surveyed the streets... (as if we are not from Davao and we can't get enough.. hehe).
The unfinished renovated park that used to be called "P.T.A. Park" was temporarily opened for viewing. It was just a few blocks away from our office and we could have dropped by to check the park out but everyone was so tired from walking, we did not get the chance to preview the unfinished park.
Saturday: Indak-Indak sa Kadalanan. You'd hear the tribal music filling the air and a series of shouts. Some roads were closed and most jeepneys would re-route for the day. Be aware of that. Everyone can be seen walking, so you might as well join others. It's best to have someone with you around, someone who can walk tirelessly with the heat and the crowd to enjoy the moment. Just have fun and laugh when you bump into each other. Be in a good mood. :)
Finally, we got around to eating durian after the seemingly endless walking.... with me was Ate Jireh, fellow blogger... a newfound friend. :) Hello Ate!!! :)
I think the open disco was cancelled due to the rain that started out by 10P.M. (I'm not sure). They could've transferred it indoors. Hehe.
Sunday: It was drizzling when we set out for today's "walk-a-thon". I call it that because it seems like we've been walking since Friday. We did not watch the Float Parade because everyone slept through it. We just watched it on T.V. instead. Most of my business partners are "dance enthusiasts" so we decided to meet up at a Mall where there is a dance contest which will be judged by the Streetboys. But, oh boy... the crowd is just too much.